How do I charge for interior or minor damage?

Sometimes damages are minor and may not meet the deductible for an insurance claim, or there are damages to the interior of the RV, which is not covered by insurance. In this case, renters will need to pay out-of-pocket for these charges. You must notify Good Sam RV Rentals of any damage within 48 hours of the rental ending. Email any photos and details of the damage, along with the completed rental forms to If you already have an estimate or receipt for repair or replacement, include this as well.

Once all required information is obtained, our claims team will reach out to the renter and collect payment on your behalf.

Was this article helpful?

4 out of 4 found this helpful

Have more questions? Submit a request